XBOX 360 charging controllers via usb?

Nitz

My time is ticking away....
Staff member
Jan 12, 2006
Outworld, Canada
www.gamerz-place.net
Zenny
I know if you have the plug n play charge kit, the usb wire can be plugged into the 360 to charge your controller.

So I have 2 questions.

1) does your 360 have to be on to charge the controller via USB?

2) can you use any usb, such as me plugging the controller into my PC usb to charge it?

BTW, I noticed the 360 had only 1 usb port? :confused:

Sergeant Dreamer

First Lieutenant Riza Hawkeye
May 22, 2006
CLASSIFIED
Zenny
It has 3 USB ports, 1 in the back and 2 in the front panel below the 'On' button. Your 360 can be off and still charge the controller, you can tell this by the wall attachment (the light is orange when the 360 is off and once you plug in the charger it turns green, and it stays green when charging even if the 360 is off). I.e The wall attachment is the bulky box part that plugs into the wall. lol

Do NOT stick it into your computer!

Nitz

My time is ticking away....
Staff member
Jan 12, 2006
Outworld, Canada
www.gamerz-place.net
Zenny
It has 3 USB ports, 1 in the back and 2 in the front panel below the 'On' button. Your 360 can be off and still charge the controller, you can tell this by the wall attachment (the light is orange when the 360 is off and once you plug in the charger it turns green, and it stays green when charging even if the 360 is off). I.e The wall attachment is the bulky box part that plugs into the wall. lol

Do NOT stick it into your computer!
thanks for the tip. I gotta look for the 2 USB ports in the front. I didn't see any, but I only skimmed through the 360 last time I played it.

BTW, does anyone even use those recharge kits? or is everyone charging it via USB?

seddy

Jun 23, 2008
pittsburgh
www.facebook.com
Zenny
i use teh recharge kit. it makes things a hell-of alot asier than changing batteries. i am gonna even be getting oen ffor my girls little brother. he just got an xbox for his birthday and has a controller that required batteries.

Lucas

Oct 2, 2022
Zenny
thanks for the tip. I gotta look for the 2 USB ports in the front. I didn't see any, but I only skimmed through the 360 last time I played it.

BTW, does anyone even use those recharge kits? or is everyone charging it via USB?
It's more convenient for me to charge via the USB. It's why I hardly bothered about making use of the recharge kits.

Shortie

Dec 16, 2022
England, UK
Zenny
I can't remember off hand now with it being so long ago if you needed your Xbox 360 console on to charge your controller. I know with the Xbox One and the Xbox Series you don't need your console to be turned on but you do need there to be power going to your console for the USB ports to work and charge the controller. Like with me, I don't always have my console on but it's got power going to it and I have my controller charging.