PS3 Sony: PlayStation sales 30% ahead of target

Jan 12, 2006
Out and about
Zenny
Yay go go go!!

Sony: PlayStation sales 30% ahead of target
Thursday 2-Oct-2008 11:30 AM Sales success could lead to shortages, says US PlayStation boss

PS3 and PSP sales are well ahead of where Sony expected them to be at this time of year, according to Jack Tretton, head of the company's US PlayStation business.

Sales are so far ahead of target that Tretton's confident of meeting the company's targets even if the current economic crisis leads to a slowdown in spending, which might be just as well as PlayStations could be in short supply this Christmas.

"We are tracking at 100 percent up over last year," he told Reuters. "... About 30 percent ahead of where we should be. So sales could slow down and we will still hit our number.

"I'd say we are able to meet somewhere between 80-90 percent demand, based on how things are trending," he said, adding that any product shortages wouldn't be "drastic".

Sony expects PS3 sales to hit ten million units, and PSP to shift 15 million, by the end of the business year in March 2009.

Last edited:

Nitz

My time is ticking away....
Staff member
Jan 12, 2006
Outworld, Canada
www.gamerz-place.net
Zenny
I think it's gone up, because it's a lot cheaper than it 1st came out.

I still think it isn't cheap enough... needs go down at least $50 before I'd get it. Or it needs to include some kinda bundle, because Xbox 360 has lots of good bundles and goodies! :)

Nemesis

Jan 25, 2006
Zenny
Kinda scary :p

Although 360 has an edge. It offers a 100GB Hard drive and PS3 has a 80GB... both for the same price... So I wonder why PS3 is selling at a higher rate.

Maybe due to the PS3 offering more than what the 360 could dream of ;)